Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is it OK to wear a cream dress with black detail on to a wedding?

I'm 27wks pregnant and cant find any nice maternity dresses except one thats cream. I would add a black sash ribbon (under boobs) and black trimming around the hem. Accessories would be black aswell.


Will this be ok, its only i'm told you shouldn't wear white or cream - brides colour? xIs it OK to wear a cream dress with black detail on to a wedding?
I would deff run it by the bride...Sounds lovley to me but i've heard sooo many other women say how they would hate it if someone else dressed in white/creamIs it OK to wear a cream dress with black detail on to a wedding?
I think under the circumstances this is ok.





I might go for a color other than black for the accessories. Can you find out what the bridesmaid colors are and then make sure you choose colors that are *not* those colors? Choose a nice pastel for the sash and trim and then add a shawl or wrap that complements. The sash and shawl should detract from the cream and you can be fairly certain the bride will not be wearing a similar outfit.


Personally, I would never be upset if someone wore something like this to my wedding - I had a lot more on my mind on my wedding day :) But it is true that technically white and cream are no-nos to wear to a wedding unless you are the bride.
I always refer to Miss Manners when I have an etiquette question like this, and this is what she says:





';There are definite no no鈥檚 that cannot or should not be worn at a wedding such as white (why compete with the bride? It is her day, not yours); anything too sexy; black to a daytime wedding; jeans; anything that is ill-fitting (too big, too tight) or with stains or holes. ';





While this may be viewed by some as old fashioned, proper etiquette, in my opinion, never goes out of style.
I got married 4 wks ago and I thought it was absolutely fine for guests to wear whatever they wanted. My cousin wore cream and black and looked lovely and I never gave it a second thought. However.... when my good friend got married last year she wanted to vet my outfit! I tried 3 dresses on and when I tried the cream one on she said no!! I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. After all the bride is going to stand out the most whatever colour any other guests wear! Good luck and enjoy the day and the pregnancy!
The current fashion is Empire style ... pregnant or not.





You could wear a cute Empire style blouse ... any colour will do .. and wear a loose skirt underneath that has an elastic band at the waist. At least you can wear it after the wedding as well.





But if you insist on the beige dress, please don't wear black with it. Use a nice soft pastel colour for the ribbon.





Enjoy :D





';..';
Ribbon under the boobs? I wonder if that is a good idea. Is OK if it isn't pulled tight, I suppose.


Sounds like it would be okay, with the touches of color, especially if you have shoes %26amp; purse to match that color.
White stands for purity. Lots of brides wear it and don't think they are sexually pure on the wedding day. It is nice that you are concerned about offending anyone but its your day.
You know, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you put some colored accessories with it. Its hard to find maternity clothes! People will understand.
To be on the safe side I'd run it by the bride - it's her day afterall but if you explain your dilema she should be understanding about it.
I think that would be fine. I've seen white and cream dresses at weddings before and they all looked fine too. Have fun.
Sounds lovely - go for it! You could make the sash etc blue if you felt black was a bit much though.
yeah, I've bought a cream dress with black detail for a wedding, it's a pretty dress, sod the bride
I dont see anything wrong with wearing cream, it's not white.
I think it would look cute. And the black accents would be enough to contrast from the bride. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes... it will be great. Considering you are pregnant it is very difficult to find anything that looks good on you.
yes that is fine your'll look fab

No comments:

Post a Comment