Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So, why is Boston cream pie called pie? I would call it a cake.?

Answers?So, why is Boston cream pie called pie? I would call it a cake.?
Probably the same reason the English have ';pudding'; which looks like cake to the rest of us and ';biscuits'; which look like cookies.So, why is Boston cream pie called pie? I would call it a cake.?
I've heard that the first versions of this dessert were probably two thin layers baked in pie tins. That makes sense because back in the early 1800's more cooks had pie tins than cake tins.





I don't know if this is absolutely true, but it's what I have in my recipe notes.
I would guess for the same reason a cheese cake is called cake when in truth it is a pie.
Are you kidding? It's custard in a flaky pie crust.......THAT'S A PIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment